Each year, 45,000 patients visit The Eye Center at SCO in midtown Memphis, and an additional 20,000 receive services through our Community Outreach Program.
Beyond our presence in midtown Memphis and the city’s thriving Medical Center district, The Eye Center oversees an active Community Outreach Program. Our outreach allows us to meet the needs of patients throughout the community.
Here are a few interesting facts about what we accomplish each year in the Memphis area:
- Our School Screening Program provides vision screenings for 12,000-15,000 Shelby County school children annually.
- We participate with Project Homeless Connect to provide needed eye-health and vision care services to the less fortunate of Memphis and Shelby County.
- Our Head Start Vision Initiative detects and treats vision issues in Shelby County Head Start participants, so as to support their long-term school success.
- Through our partnership with Student Advocates for Vision in Education (S.A.V.E), we provide eye exams and glasses to children in need in Shelby County who otherwise would have likely gone without, including children served by Youth Villages.
- Our Nursing Home/Assisted Living Program serves 20 different area nursing homes and assisted living facilities in the Memphis area.
Southern College of Optometry is also proud to partner with a multitude of local organizations for fun and educational community events.